Pages

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Reflecting on other department’s lessons

Being passionate about your content will inspire your students to follow. This is especially true with a subject that could be viewed as dry, difficult and/or boring. The builders were talking about maths but they could easily have been discussing students views about my subject-anatomy.

The builder’s also found their students had preconceived ideas around maths so to combat this they didn’t refer to their content as maths but rather called it ‘construction calculations’. They were also going to adapt their course so that the maths component was very practically oriented so the students saw the purpose and relevance of each step.

Another topic that came up was literacy and numeracy competence. The builders referred students that were struggling to a learning support person and held extra voluntary tutorials. We have started voluntary tutorials too but I think I will look into the learning support services to see how they can assist our students who are still struggling.

The other department’s presentations made use of lots of beginnings and endings,

individual, pair and group work

feedback/forward

practical examples

students presenting/teaching

Listening to the ideas from the other disciplines made me realise they way I learnt anatomy was not the best way to teach it. We were told information and expected to learn it. I can see the more a student has to think, act, discuss, present and engage the better and more affective the learning will be -as these 2 clippings from our previous class show.

Most people learn …

10%

of what they read

20%

of what they hear

30%

of what they see

50%

of what they see and hear

70%

of what they talk over with others

80%

of what they use and do in real life

95%

of what they teach someone else

I hear and I forget

I see and I remember

I do and I understand

No comments:

Post a Comment