Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Design and Delivery

Here we go. First blog.

I'm new to teaching, this is my first year on the other side of the lecture hall. I've come from a physiotherapy background

I enjoyed Nuddy's class and the interactive nature of it and I can see how appropriate it would be to encourage independent thought, promote discussion and challenge ideas and concepts. Also the 80/20 concept that was discussed sounds great but I struggle to see how to apply it to some of my classes. My coleague Scott's sociology class would suit this model well but with anatomy a lot of content has to be delivered and memorised and dosen't lend itself to discussion and debate.

With a large group of students and a large quanitity of information the 'old school' lecture seems the most efficent way of transfering information for a black and white subject like anatomy. I remember hearing last night that only 4% of lecture information is retained but I remember as a student it was my responsibility to learn the information that was presented. This learning was done independently from the lecture.

The labs/tuts that follow up after a lecture are more condusive to 80/20 with group work and tasks that can be suppervised/facilitated by a lecturer. The classroom we were in last night would be brilliant for this.

One thing I enjoyed with Nuddy's discussion was the theory affecting practise and practise affecting theory (theory <---> practise). I can think of instances in my education as a physio where this was not followed. It will be my challenge as a lecturer to be relevant and remain open minded.

Regarding blogs and teaching: the dificulty I see with this medium is the risk of students being too susinct or waffleing on and on.......................and me having to sift through it. On that note I think I should sign off.

4 comments:

  1. I agree with a fair bit of what you've said. I find that my sport sociology classes work well in this environment, but having been in anatomy/physiology classes, they wouldn't work the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, you could put a narrative here with links to online resources.

    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Ben, I think you will find teaching with foundation programme easier to apply the 80/20 rule and maybe with your A & P you can look at ways of deeper questioning??

    ReplyDelete